Saturday, March 21, 2009

From 60's Drab To Chic Fab!!!

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
WOW!!!! Super Fabuloso!!!!
I made these drab old outdated nightstands and a dresser into a chic set of custom made furniture for my bedroom. Now I know it isn't necessarily a gift(I guess I could say it's my husband birthday gift) But if you find a great piece of furniture for someone you can update it and customize it just for them. Now don't say furniture as a gift that's little extreme don't ya think...and for everyday this may be true, but for someone you truly cherish it's very nice and personal. When my sisters and I turned 16 we all got a cedar chest from our mom I will always have that piece of her with me.
So this is how I did it.

I started by wiping down and dusting the insides and removing all the old hardware. Then I sanded everything (first time with an electric sander...go me!) especially the top because it has a icky fake wood laminate finish and primered it.

Then I painted it black as well as the edges around the drawers as those would be seen by the naked eye.

I bought some very pretty and also on sale scrapbook paper(that's right scrapbook paper) and modge podged it right on the drawer fronts. I glued the paper on and then put modge podge over the top of it. It will take 3-4 coats. Also make sure you get all the air bubbles out. You'll probably run into some air bubbles after you put on the top coat of MP. But not to worry, as it dries overnight they will go down.

My Finished Modge Pogded Drawer

After I let the paint dry I put 2 layers of a polyurethane top coat on to protect it form dings and scratches...Put in the hardware and TA-DA!!!! A Beautifully Chic Bedroom Set for Only $50.00 in supplies(mostly the knobs).
Now On to the non-matching brown bed posts...Till Next time
Truly, Mrs. Gifted
P.S.-best places to look for used furniture...Garage sales, KSL, and DI(it's iffy but still a chance).

7 comments:

Holly T said...

Cute! That looks like a bumload of work but they look really good!! Nice job sister! Plus- I don't think everything on your blog needs to be a gift, it should be about sharing your gift of craftiness with the rest of us!

Risa said...

Those turned out beautifully Emily! Can you come do mine? I have old particle board bedroom furniture that is tres ugly. I know you could pimp them out and make them beautiful.

You truly are gifted!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I may have to try this one on my night stands!

Mamati @ Daily dose of me said...

Now thats what i call crafty! Found your link on tip junkie.

This turned out great, i am currently decorating my niece's room and could cover her dresser drawers with something beautiful.
Thank you so much for sharing this

Lisa said...

You turned that into a classy piece! Nice.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Wow that looks so high end. The starting project was awful...way to rescue it!

Jin said...

Those nightstands are amazing! How many times have I passed up a seriously outdated dresser... Seriously inspired, great job!